Dunstable Holiday Inn Express fined for health and safety breach




A serious health and safety breach at the Holiday Inn Express in Dunstable has seen the responsible parties have to pay fines and costs totalling £16,830.


Fryer at the Holiday Inn, Dunstable

Central Bedfordshire Council has prosecuted The Gateway Hotel, Dunstable (known as The Holiday Inn Express) and RBH Hospitality Management for failings under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, sections 2(1) and 3(1), following a breach in their legal duty of care towards a member of staff. Both companies pleaded guilty at Peterborough Magistrates' Court yesterday (Monday 8 November 2021).

On Sunday 11 November 2018, a Holiday Inn Express employee was instructed by a manager to empty and clean the commercial oil fryer in the kitchen. The member of staff picked up the filled container and was immediately burned from oil melting through the thin plastic container that had been provided for the job. The individual dropped the container onto the floor, slipped and fell into the hot oil, receiving second and third-degree burns to their arms, legs and torso, covering approximately 10% of their body.

As a result, the employee is physically scarred and has not worked since, subsequently suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Additionally, in the same year, the individual was working whilst an armed robbery took place at the hotel.

It is a legal duty to ensure the use of a hot oil fryer is risk assessed, control measures put in place, and staff trained and provided with written information and instructions.

The member of staff had not been instructed or trained fully in how to empty the oil fryer in a safe manner. During the emptying, the member of staff was not wearing adequate personal protective equipment (PPE) to prevent burns and was given a plastic container to empty the oil into.

The investigation found there was a possibility that the fryer had not been fully switched off from the previous evening's use and therefore had not cooled down as expected and there was no working thermometer on the fryer to indicate how hot the oil was.

Councillor Ian Dalgarno, CBC Executive Member for Community Services, said, “Our investigations found that there were inadequate control measures in place, the correct PPE was not provided for the task and there was a lack of training. As a result of poor health and safety, an individual has been left with permanent physical and mental scars.

“This prosecution sends a message to businesses that, if health and safety laws are breached and members of staff or the public are placed at risk, we will investigate you and prosecute if in the public interest.”

* Top picture credit: google.co.uk/maps
If you enjoyed this post and never want to miss out on future posts please Follow by Email







 DND

Dunstable News Desk

DND Facebook Page
Contact DND
DND Twitter
DND Pinterest
- - - - - - - - -
Dunstable News Desk administers these Facebook Groups:
1. Images of Dunstable, South Bedfordshire & Nearby Past & Present Public Group, photography and art.
2. News Desk Business Group Public Group* for business recommendations
3. Job Vacancies in South Bedfordshire Public Group for jobs
4. Bus News Desk (Dunstable & Houghton Regis) Public group
5. News Desk Conversation Group (Houghton Regis & Dunstable) Private Group, discuss local issues *Public Group - anyone, including non members, can read comments.
Private Group - what is discussed here is for members eyes only.

Recommended:
Search Dunstable Town Council website
Dunstable - Preserving the Past for the Future - Facebook site that watches and discusses planning applications.

Other Group Sites
Luton News Desk
Houghton Regis News Desk
Donate to help Alan here